A Simple Guide to Dealing with Faculty Burnout

This past year we have had to deal with learning a new learning management system (Hello, Canvas!), quickly moving courses online for remote teaching (thanks a lot, COVID!), and navigating a new world with technology that many of us have never seen before.

It makes sense that we have run headlong into burnout before we even realized what was happening. It is time to take care of ourselves. After all, we cannot take care of others until we first take care of ourselves!

Simple Tip #1: 5-Minute Meditation

I am not a fan of sitting quietly in a room saying “ohhhmmm,” so I never really gave this a try. Then one day my husband convinced me to do a 5-minute guided meditation. He was right (if anyone tells him I said this I will deny it until the day I die)!

Just a simple 5-minute guided meditation was enough to calm my heart rate and pull me back to the present. I do ones for happiness, ones for peace, ones for patience, and others just to find a sense of calm. Really, all you need to do is Google “guided meditation” and a ridiculous number of videos show up that you can follow for free.

Simple Tip #2: Light a Candle or Wear a Scent you Love

Smell can calm us, make us hungry, disgust us, make us happy, etc. So put on lotion, perfume, cologne, etc. that you love. Light a candle whose scent you find calming and peaceful, or happy. It’s amazing what a simple scent will do for you!

Simple Tip #3: Eat Something Healthy that You Don’t Have to Prepare!

Okay, this one can be a bit annoying if you have to make a complicated dish. So just find something healthy that you can snack on that is ready to eat. My go-to are grapes. Other times it is cashews and chocolate chips mixed together (that’s healthy, right?) Sometimes a simple snack is enough to get us back on the right track.

Simple Tip #4: Look at a Picture of Puppies!

When you just can’t handle another email, look at a picture of something that makes you smile! It can be your family, or maybe it is one of those strange animal friendships that make no sense, or possibly it is a favorite piece of art. In any case, look at something that brings you joy.

Simple Tip #5: Listen to Your Favorite Song

It is well known that listening to different types of music can influence how we feel and how we act. So listen to a song that pushes your adrenaline when you are tired, or listen to a song that makes your heart happy when you are feeling stressed.

Simple Tip #6: Go to the Experts

The TXST Counseling Center is offering several workshops this semester to deal with burnout, address self-care, and basically help with mental health care!

Go to the Counseling Center’s Educational Outreach website for information on some amazing upcoming workshops created just for us!