My Canvas Tips – Cassandra LeClair

Snapshot

Your name, title, etc.: Dr. Cassandra LeClair, Senior Lecturer
The school/department you teach for: Department of Communication Studies

My tips for using Canvas come from realizations I had as I was working through my own fears and anxiety about using a new LMS. Here is advice I would give to my past self.

Tip #1: Complete Advanced Training

At first, I was hesitant to switch to Canvas. I knew Canvas would be better than the previous LMS, but it still made me feel a great deal of stress and anxiety. I do not consider myself a technological wizard and I was concerned about the length of time it would take to create my courses. I attended online training for the basics, but still felt unsure of how to set up everything. I found it helpful to look on YouTube for shorter videos of each tool. I built my site as I watched along on another device. Doing so also allowed me to see other course structures and formats in smaller more manageable pieces. As I learned to build the site, my confidence grew. I became excited to learn about the other tools people were utilizing. When I realized how many advanced features there were, I voluntarily signed up for several optional advanced online trainings. Taking the trainings does take time, but it saves you time in the end.

Tip #2: Embrace Personalization

I went into online teaching with the attitude that a basic site would be best. I did not want to get too far into personalization with pictures or fonts because I was simply worried about placing my actual content on the site. However, what I learned is that through personalization of the site, I felt more connected to the course.  After going through some of the advanced trainings (again, take the trainings! ) I felt more comfortable with changing the colors, adding graphics, and embedding photos. I rely on the Design Plus tools and can’t imagine going back to a basic site. I now view personalization as an opportunity to create the closeness and connection I work to build in face-to-face classes. By tailoring the Canvas site in a more personalized manner, I feel like I’m giving students a unique “in class” experience and adding my own personal flair. Students have also commented that this made the course feel more interactive and engaging.

Tip #3: Request Student Feedback

Ask early and ask often. During my first Canvas course, I was very open with my students that I was learning a new system. I did several anonymous surveys to ask for their feedback and suggestions. The surveys help me catch things that I may need to fix and allow me to continually shift things to better meet learning needs. The open-ended questions have given me insight based and have provided reassurance. If I hadn’t taken the extra Canvas courses and spent time familiarizing myself with the platform, I wouldn’t be able to adapt as easily as I have when changes need to be made. Students are taking many online courses and have likely used many modalities and types of assignments. By asking for student feedback you are encouraging their active participation and making them feel involved in the process.

2 thoughts on “My Canvas Tips – Cassandra LeClair

1. Good morning, Elizabeth! I have been using Flipgrid videos in addition to the canvas discussion boards. The students record video answers and then respond to classmates in video form. To make the actual discussion boards more active, I have also been asking students to take small online quizzes, and interpret their results using course content. We talk about the differences between how the book discusses things and how it is presented online. I think they are enjoying the application aspect of both of these activities.

2. Cass, thanks so much for this post! I also remember hearing you informally chat about using other tools in conjunction with Canvas to spark discussions among your fully asynchronous class. Are you using other tools to spark community and discussion? Or are you mostly using Canvas discussion boards?